Camp Counselor FAQ

How do I apply to be a Katydid Summer Camp Counselor?
You must first fill out a Katydid, Inc. application which can be downloaded from the JOBS section of our website.

Where do I send the application?
This application then can be emailed to or mailed to: Katydid, Inc., P.O. Box 710516, Oak Hill VA 20171-0516.

When can I apply?
We start taking applications in February.  When we are in receipt of the Katydid application, qualified applicants will be contacted via phone or email to have an interview.  We start interviewing qualified applicants at the end of February and the beginning of March of each year.  If hired, you will get an email or phone call of your acceptance and pay rate. You will also be given a packet of the forms to fill out.

Who is considered an qualified applicant?
Katydid, Inc. looks for applicants who have experience  working with groups of children. This experience can be working with groups of children, i.e, volunteering with girl scouts or boy scouts, volunteering at church camps or coaching . If you are currently a college student, education majors are a plus.

How old do I have to be?
You must be 18 years of age to be a paid summer counselor.  You must be 21 years of age to be a Site Director.

Do I need References?
Yes, We need three references of  someone over 21 and “not” a relative.  A teacher, someone you volunteered with, someone you babysat for, a neighbor who has known you for a while are best. The best reference is someone who has seen you working/volunteering with children. You must provide an email address for each reference.

How many weeks do I have to work in a summer?
We ask College Counselors to be available to work for a minimum of  8 weeks of the summer.

What are the hours?
Our camp week runs Monday through Friday.  Camps hours are 9am to 1:00pm for the half-day preschool camps and from 8:30 am to 3:30pm for the full-day elementary age camps. Work hours: We ask counselors to arrive for work ½ hour before the start of camp to set up and have a short meeting with the Site Director and to stay ½ hour after camp ends each day.  So, work hours are from 8:30 am to 1:30 pm if you are assigned the half-day preschool camps and 8:00am to 4:00pm if you are assigned the full day camps with elementary children.  Our camps run weekly from the beginning of June to the end of August.

Are there other forms that are required?
There are lots of forms to be filled out by the new employee.  You will be given a packet when hired.  All these forms must be submitted by the first Training Session.  One form will need to be notarized.  This can be done at any bank. You must provide a driver’s license or other picture ID for Homeland Security check.  Katydid pays any fees associated with the forms required except the TB Screening and CPR/First Aid Certification.

All personnel working with children in the State of Virginia must be fingerprinted.  If you have a fingerprinting report within the last three years, we can use that as a copy for your personnel file.

TB Screening is required.  If you have had this within the last two years, we will need a copy for your personnel file.

Is there mandatory training?
Yes, our Virginia State License requires all counselors to have 10 mandatory training hours each year.  Katydid will schedule three training evenings at the Frying Pan Park location before camp starts each summer usually at the end of May.

Is CPR/First Aid required?
Yes, CPR and First Aid Certification is Required by all Katydid Counselors.  Katydid offers CPR/First Aid Certification at a discount at Frying Pan Park location on several different dates by an outside contractor.  If you have a Certification that has not expired, additional certification is not required, but we will need copies of the CPR/First Aid cards for your personnel file.

Where will I be working?
Katydid Summer Camps has two Sites:  Frying Pan Park and Burke Lake Park. NOTE: For summer 2022, due to COVID camps will only be offered at Frying Pan Park.

You will be asked to complete our “Sign Up Genius” Availability Calendar which will be provided to you after you are hired. The counselor work schedule is made up based on this “Sign Up Genius” Availability Calendar.  We try to accommodate most requests, but depending on enrollment at our camp locations, we sometimes must ask counselors to go to another site.

Do I need transportation?
Counselors only need transportation to and from their site location.  Site Directors need their own reliable transportation for a few local errands, i.e., to the main site office or to get supplies.

What do I bring ?
Lunch: All counselors, Site Directors and CIT’s (Counselor In Training) are required to eat lunch with the campers.  Please bring your lunch, snack and a drink every day.  (Lunch time is part of your hours with our campers.)

Is there a uniform?
No, there is no uniform, but there is a dress code which will be discussed at training.  You will also be required to wear a Katydid provided T-shirt.

Clothing:  You are representing Katydid, Inc. to the parents and campers. Please wear comfortable and appropriate clothing for the weather.  You will be playing outside, helping children do crafts and sometimes cooking projects.  Campers do get messy and dirty at times.  Athletic shoes are preferred to sandals.

When do I get a pay check?
We have an accounting firm that takes care of the pay checks.  We must have your W-4 for you to get paid. You will be given a schedule of pay dates at training.  It usually takes several weeks to get your first pay check, after that the pay checks are issued every two weeks.

Please email if you have any further questions.  We look forward to working with you this year as a Summer Camp Counselor with Katydid, Inc.